A closet is a space for storing things, usually a spacious cabinet or recessed area that is utilized for keeping clothes and linens. Different homeowners have different uses for closets. Closets can be small in size in some homes, while in others, the closet is used to store all sorts of stuff except clothes. With lots of things stored in closets, it is inevitable that things can get jumbled up and the closet itself becomes disorganized.
There a lot of options that can be obtained by homeowners to organize their closets, but first, before they start with the task, it is best to comb through the closet itself and throw out stuff that is not needed anymore. These things must be eliminated immediately from the house in order to avoid the tendency of the homeowner to have second thoughts about disposing the items.
So it is important to purchase closet organizers in order to remove clutter from the closet and to restore order. Before searching for the appropriate closet organizer, the amount of space needed should be considered first.
The advantage of buying complete closet systems is that they can be customized and can fit any kind of space. For those with special storage needs, closet systems can be custom-designed. Pre-designed closet organizers will do for those who have basic storage requirements.
Here are some tips that can be used for organizing that closet:
1. Usage of shoe racks The disadvantage of having shoes scattered all over the floor is that the space can look very cluttered, and one pair can't be separated from another. Instead of using shoe bags that hang over the door, shoe racks should be used instead. Do not buy racks that have a slight slant, non-heeled shoes will not stay in place when stored in this kind of rack. Buy flat racks that has two shelves or more, or shoe caddies that can hold nine to twelve shoes.
2. Try drawer organizers Drawers tend to be messy, with small stuff like hosiery, socks and office supplies stored in them. Drawer organizers can help owners retrieve their items in an instant. And there are no hassles in installing it too - most drawer organizers are plastic containers and dividers that be easily inserted inside.
3. Storage for outerwear Items like hats, coats, jackets and scarves are usually just thrown over sofas and chairs because usually, there is no space in the closet for them. Go through the coat closet. Be certain that each item is used regularly. If there is one item that is rarely used, consider giving it away. Make sure there are enough hangers. There should be only one hanger per each piece of clothing. Hanging one coat over the other can be a hassle when someone tries to retrieve it for use later. Make sure to buy hangers that are durable.
There are hangers on the market that can accommodate up to sixty pounds of clothing but still consume just a small amount of space. This type of closet can be affixed in walls, and can be closed when it is not being used. It can be used either indoors or outdoors, because weather resistant materials are used to manufacture the hanger.
Smaller item like gloves and mittens should be stored in transparent, plastic bags, separate bags for every family member, in order to avoid confusion.
4. Install additional shelves For more storage space, an additional shelf can be installed between the shelf that is at eye-level and the ceiling. This can be used to store items that are not used as frequently.
5. Arrange items according to the season Relegate items of the current season at the front of the closet. During the summer, Gather wool clothing and put them at the back of the closet, then put the summer outfits up front.
6. Use specialized organizer for belts and neckties For items like belts and tie hangers, revolving tie racks can be used to organize long items to keep from getting the tangled.
7. Install hanging storage for places with small spaces Hanging storages are perfect for those urban dwellers who live on small, compartmentalized condominium units. These organizers are made especially for items like dresses, shoes, and sweaters. They can be attached easily on closet rods, and this is most effective for cluttered closet floors.
8. Make use of wicker baskets Wicker or rope baskets are a way to add visual appeal to organizing closets. They come in various colors, sizes and shapes. Baskets are a good option for storing items that are not used often.
Everyone wants to have organized closets in their homes. By following the tips above, one can have spic-and-span storage in no time.